09 10

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Waxing Gibbous Moon


While swimming laps last night,

there it was...

framed in the crook of my elbow...

as I turned my head to take a breath

before I sliced my arm through the water...

a most beautiful waxing gibbous moon...

with the bright planet Jupiter nearby.

Wow, what a wonderful sight on a warm clear night.

So, are you wondering, "What is a waxing gibbous moon?

I know most of you already know, but for those who don't..

it is a moon that:

* rises during the hours between noon and sunset

*sets in the hours after midnight

*is easy to see in daytime because, a large fraction of the moon's day side is facing our way

*is more noticeable than a crescent moon

*appears more than half lit

* and is less than full which gives it a "hump back"

If you missed it,

poke your head out the window tonight.

Go ahead, check it out.

Hurry up before this phase of the moon is no longer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hello there thanks for your grat post, as usual ((o: