09 10

Monday, December 21, 2009

Remember the Real Reason

There is nothing like having your family over to spur you into getting the decorations up for Christmas. I have collected SO MANY decorations that I must now rotate my decor --mainly because I don't have enough surfaces to display everything. We are talking about both horizontal and vertical surfaces. I bring all the boxes down from the attic and then I decide which decorations I want to use for the current season . Sometimes I feel sorry for those decorations that haven't been out for years. Maybe it is time to let them live somewhere else.

I'd like to take you on a little tour.

In my family room I have my favorite Santa sitting in an evergreen forest.....




...and a collection of nutcrackers stoically standing in the foliage above the TV:





In my living and dining room I have angels heralding on the piano and buffet....




......and white glistening balls and lights floating atop the mantel.



I have vintage Santas, cups, trees, figurines, and candles in one of our bathrooms:


In the kitchen, there are little white houses ....


..... a very large "tree" with fruit ornaments...

bromeliads and paperwhites blooming in the window...
....and angels winging above a metal stocking cradling a cool plant.



Now, I love all of the above--the Santas, the greenery, the lights and the glitter. It helps to create a wonderful mood for the season. But we must not forget the real reason we are celebrating at this time of year----the birth of Jesus Christ, our Savior.

Two ways that help me keep focused on the true meaning of Christmas are...

....... listening to inspiring music. Songs such as "Oh Holy Night", "Silent Night", "Oh Come All Ye Faithful", and "The First Noel" just to name a few-- Ever since the day after Thanksgiving I have tuned to two radio stations that play Christmas music exclusively-KOIT (95.6) and KDFC(102.1)

......and gazing at my small collection of creche, a few I'd like to share with you.....

Adeline bought this creche for me when she lived in Spain for four months:


This creche was a gift from Sophie several Christmases ago:


This very old creche was purchased at an antique store a while back. Each figurine is marked on the bottom with "Western Germany" so you know this creche from the pre-Berlin wall era. I purchased the handmade stable at a different time and place. Perhaps an old gentleman constructed it for his wife, who had a collection of creche figures.


and a plaque from Italy purchased at Gumps in San Francisco:


....I am hoping each of us can remember the true meaning of Christmas....the celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ. Through His example, He showed us how to conduct our lives, how to be kind and loving to each other, how to help those in need, and how to care for our earth. If we do our best, follow His example, we can return to live with Him again.

Remember the real reason.

3 comments:

Janet said...

I would love to be your over the fence neighbor, just so I could enjoy your beautiful garden and the sweet smells coming from it and to enjoy the changing seasons with your unique and special decorations. I am so lucky you are my cousin! I love you and miss you. Thank you for letting me walk in your magical world! ~Janet

Natalie said...

I have always loved your large manger creche. It is so beautiful along with all the other decorations.

Jeanette Millward said...

My goodness... your house is sooooo lovely! You really have a magical touch.