09 10

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Vintage Red/Black Plaid Picnic Bag Re-purposed Into A Camera Bag

The other day I was talking to my sister about getting a camera bag for the new camera I just received for  Christmas (best present and surprise ever).  Thank you very much dear sister for saving me from spending almost $200 on one of these ....

Inspiration popped in and I came up with the idea of transforming this red plaid vintage picnic bag (which I picked up at an estate sale for a couple of bucks) into a camera bag:

IMG_0184
I love the red plaid...from the fifties and so easy to spot.

IMG_0186
I previously used this as a "lunch pail".

I took the felted yellow sweater I picked up at the Goodwill, some 1/2" foam, and some grey and yellow polka dot flannel (oh how I love polka dots):

IMG_0181
Didn't use a pattern...just outlined the bag on craft paper and cut out the pieces.  When sewing "free form" like this, I go bigger than I think I need ...you can always trim ..trust me, it is too hard to  put  pieces back together.

IMG_0187
Used almost the entire sweater...including the sleeves and the ribbing.  Love to use things up, don't you?
And whaalaa...I now place the loveliest of all cameras in this soft-warm-fuzzy-cozy bag for transporting or for those times my fabulous camera is not strapped around my neck or is in the clutches of my hands.

IMG_0189
There is room for an extra lens (maybe someday) and other accessories. 
 Just need to make a shoulder strap for it..still working on that.
I  store the charger and cord in this cute little "vintage-like" bag which I found at Daiso.

IMG_0194
Now, if you were a camera, wouldn't you want to "live" in a bag like this?

IMG_3335

2 comments:

Molly said...

Oh neat! I was wondering what you were going to do with those sweaters!

Unknown said...

I too was confused about the felting of sweaters, but now I'm kinda jealous of your camera bag!