09 10

Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Making of a Baby Quilt

It is finished.  A quilt for my little grandson who is due any day now.

IMG_6486
I love making baby quilts.  .
I've made quilts for each of my children, my grandchildren, my nieces and some friends.

Let me share the process I went through with this quilt:

I started by going  through my stash and pulling out what grabbed me.  It took awhile...I pulled, put back, pulled, put back.  I even used fabric from my "scrap drawer".  You never know when those smaller scraps can come in handy.
Untitled

Next to decide which design to make?  Do I make strips?  Nine patch?  Log cabin?

So many choices.
Keep It Simple kept running through my head .

For this quilt I decided to use (A) as my inspiration fabric. I wanted to cut strips of this fabric to use as a border.

Next, (B)  I  threw the fabrics together on the floor while choosing what I will use for the field squares.  Needed to visualize what it would look like

Since I decided to make triangles in the main field,  I cut strips of fabric 5 3/4 in wide (C) and then
 cut those strips into 5 3/4 in squares (D).

Untitled
Now, let me show you how I made those triangles.

Untitled
After piecing the triangle squares together, sewing the border, grabbing some natural cotton batting. and  choosing the backing, I came up with this:

 
Untitled




And then I hand quilted away....

IMG_6488
I can't wait  to wrap up my new little grandbabe in this sweet quilt.

No comments: