09 10

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Daylight Saving Time

It has been a week and a half since we switched to

DAYLIGHT SAVING TIME
(note that "saving" is singular, not plural)

and I am still trying to reset my internal clock

we all have one, you know
I automatically wake up 6:07 am
(without an alarm clock..never use one)
and I still think," it is really 5:07"...
it is so hard to get up when it is dark and cold
and then I think of those poor farmers
who have to work an extra hour in the dark

I've noticed there are less people at the gym
are they having a hard time getting up too?

This clock changing really messes me up.

In spring, we "lose" an hour...
do we really "lose" that hour...
or isn't it just spinning around in space for the next 7 months
until we turn the clocks back in the fall and "gain" it back

"An extra yawn one morning in the springtime, an extra snooze one night in the autumn is all that we ask in return for dazzling gifts. We borrow an hour one night in April; we pay it back with golden interest five months later." -Winston Churchill


Why do we do this?

DST started under the Department of Transportation
to regulate the railroad schedules
and was originally suppose to last 6 months but now lasts 7.

"they" claim during DST....
energy consumption is reduced(saving 300,000 barrels/year)
that people are more prone to shop in the evenings (do you?)
there is less crime
and fewer car accidents

I do like having the extra light in the evening to
work in my garden..
or to go for a hike...
or to have a "que"

It's just that the first week or so of DST
is a bit rough at times.

No comments: