09 10

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Roses in My Garden


Been busy in the garden lately.

Now is the time for pruning and feeding the roses.

IMG_5730


Over the years, I have used different brands of "food" for my roses but have found this to work particularly well.  It is a bit more expensive, but seems to keep the bugs and diseases away which makes for a healthy, big blossom producing plant. Make sure you feed them now even though they are dormant.

IMG_5755


I have quite a few rose bushes in my garden...I think I am up to 20 plants now.


IMG_5752


With all the rain, weeds have overtaken my garden beds.  Oh...I hate those weeds.

IMG_5754
Even though clover is most prolific, it is the easiest to pull out,
especially now that the rains have softened the soil.

There are so many weeds, I fill my compost bin to overflowing every week.

IMG_5728



At times, I  take a break from hacking/pulling weeds...I grab a meyer lemon off one of my bushes, pour myself a nice big glass of water and plop some slices in...and gulp....mmm refreshing!

IMG_5758
Yes, I have a year round supply of lemons...

  A gardener's work is never done...at least here in California.

No comments: